Let’s kick this off with a verse from the real Slim Shady:
He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
He's chokin', how, everybody's jokin' now
The clocks run out, time's up, over, blaow!
Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
He's so mad, but he won't give up that easy? No
Yes, loves, we are talking about anxiety.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and unable to cope but aren’t sure why, here are nine sneaky anxiety symptoms you might want to look out for so you can start understanding your situation and exploring ways to feel better:
1. Ain't nothing getting done. You plan on getting tons done, but somehow after an entire day, you have very little to show for it and you cannot figure out where all the time went. This could be due to ADHD or more likely poor time management, low productivity and/or difficulty with prioritising tasks, which can be signs of worsening anxiety.
2. Where there's a puddle, you see an ocean. You overthink things to the point where you send yourself into a blind panic, even before anything actually concerning happens.
3. You’re the scream kween. You feel jumpy. People who suffer from anxiety can have a heightened startle response, particularly when they’re stressed. This means you’re likely to freak out very easily if you’re all wrapped up in your thoughts.
4. Tummy aches fo' days. You know it’s not the sushi you ate last night and you don’t have food poisoning, irritable bowel syndrome or the stomach flu. So, why is your stomach always upside down? Anxiety manifests in the stomach; it can worsen symptoms of abdominal cramps and pain.
5. When your spaghetti is not all the same length. If your perfectionism prevents you from trying new things because you’re afraid of failing, or it causes you to avoid certain situations or tasks because you don’t want to make a mistake, it might be linked to an anxiety disorder. Feelings of shame and inferiority and constant self-criticism are all part of that perfectionism package.
6. E'r’one is annoying We are all human and we all get into moods where our friends and coworkers drive us up the wall. But you feel like you could go off at any second and that's another matter. The fight/flight/freeze response is heightened in anxiety sufferers.
7. You’re full of uhmmm’s and ahhhhh’s. You get way too invested in every decision.
8. You’re the sick-note king. You always feel run-down and experience unexplained aches, pains and frequent and chronic colds. This is all part of the anxiety roller coaster.
9. Hello, darkness, my old friend. So you’re feeling anxious and you’re having sleeping problems. But sleep deprivation can cause an anxiety disorder?! What even?
Just remember that Unlocked.Me blogs are for informational purposes only and are no substitute for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice. Please consult your own preferred medical practitioner for all professional medical advice.